Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The League: A Quick Review

As I left college and my fraternity house, I joked around with my Brothers about us all living in the same area once we got older and got jobs, wives, and children. We would be the ones organizing block parties, terrorizing our kids with our antics, trying to escape our wives, and of course playing fantasy football.

After finally seeing the first episode the other day and now being a few episodes in, The League is a slightly dramatized version of what I envisioned. The storyline centers around a group of friends: Pete, Kevin, Rodney, Andre, and Taco. Each represents a different mold of a stereotypical guy friend in a group. Taco is the relaxed friend who smokes pot, is absent minded, and gets with the ladies. Andre is the friend that tries too hard to be cool and everyone shits on him. Rodney is hyper competitive friend and is whipped by his wife.



That leaves Kevin and Pete, who are best friends and act like foils of each other. Kevin is a successful district attorney, happily married, and is not good at fantasy football (a common joke being his wife, Jenny, runs his team). Pete (spoiler) separates from his wife in the end of the first episode (/spoiler), avoids work at his job, and is the three time champion of the their fantasy football league.

The story is not about fantasy football but about a group of friends sticking together using their league as the glue. The League has similarities to Entourage because its overarching theme is male friendship. If it was merely about a bunch of guys playing fantasy football it wouldn't be worth watching but the friendship these guys have and the style of comedy make this show worth watching. The comedy reminds me of Entourage and Weeds. I just hope as I keep watching it doesn't become as dramatic as Entourage and Weeds are now. I am picking up The League and putting it on my list of television shows I will be watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment